Aug 13, 2007

More pain on the way?

I have been thinking a lot about the speech given by Robert Rodriguez, which was the subject of my previous post. With perfect timing the LA Times ran the following story ominously titled "Foreclosures may spur price drops: On L.A.'s edges, soaring repossessions could set off a downward spiral." (may require a free subscription)

Why shouldn't I just file this story under what I like to call the "new tires effect" which describes a strange phenomenon where I only notice, remember, and take interest in ubiquitous tire commercials exactly 1 week before I get new tires and than promptly forget them after the new tires are installed?

The reason why I think this story is of particular interest and why it dovetails nicely with the speech given by Mr. Rodriguez is because it describes carnage in the real estate market which has not yet occurred and I believe many investors (including myself) may not be factoring into their models for housing related stocks -- home builders, mortgage REITs, mortgage insurers, regional and super-regional spread lenders like WM.

The thing that made this story particularly interesting and different from many of the other "pain in the real estate market" stories that I read almost every day is that the future tense is used as opposed to the present or the past. The authors -- using data from First American which I believe is the same source that Mr. Rodriguez quotes in his speech -- make the point that the cracks are just starting to appear.

The article argues that the marginal ZIP codes in California that should be the first in the nation to experience the real pain have not entered the cycle of spiking repossessions that swell lender's inventories of unsold homes causing them to flood the market which in turn forces individual sellers to lower prices.

Here is an a quote that sums up the tone of the article nicely:

"We're going to have a bear market in housing for a while," said Christopher Cagan, director of research for First American CoreLogic in Santa Ana. "It's going to be bad to be a seller or someone forced to refinance in the impact zone."

Notice that he says that its "GOING" to be bad to be seller which I believe is different from the common perception that right now is the worst time to be a seller and we are now at or close to the bottom of the market and things will turn around before soon.

As I mentioned in my last post, I am taking this opportunity to better educate myself on publicly traded homebuilders. I think homebuilders represent great long term investments since they have a built in growth rate of 6% (3% from population growth and 3% from inflation), their product will never be outsourced, and the industry is still unconsolidated so the top guys can easily grow at 10% to 15% for years to come by taking market share and/or consolidating. However, it seems that the wises thing to do for anyone looking at homebuilders is to adjust their models for the possibility of the real estate market taking longer than a one or two years to recover and adjust their required margin of safety accordingly.


No comments: