Dec 11, 2007

Some real evidence of a slowdown .......

One of the drawbacks of working for a traditional institutional asset management firm with a decent amount of assets under management is that I get a ton of Wall Street research and I am expected to read most of it and regurgitated it to colleagues, clients and prospects.

Needless to say that reading this stuff gets old fast so I get particularly excited when something useful/interesting/contrarian comes across my desk. Here is the most relevant excerpt from a recent morning note from Merrill Lynch …..


"Mr. Rosenberg, I have been reading your economic reports since your arrival at Merrill. Last night I began my evening by tuning into Kudlow on CNBC. The topic was as usual "Will the slowdown in the housing sector send us into a recession?"

With that topic on my mind I ended the evening with a group of High School students meeting with a local cement contractor. He began his career 20 years ago with one truck and a second mortgage for capital. He now has 85 trucks that cost $175,000 each and 100 employees with salaries of $40,000 to $100,000. Business has been good the last 20 years. We began asking questions: How is business going? We have some road contracts but the housing business has almost stopped. Will you be buying any trucks this year? No. Will you be hiring in the next 6 months? No. Is there a cement shortage? 2 years ago there was a shortage but no shortage now. How much fuel do you use each month? 20,000 gallons. How much do you spend on benefits and insurance? About $10,000 per employee. Other questions were asked and my conclusions were these. This small businessman will not be buying any trucks this year. His employees who love to buy their own large 4 wheel drive trucks will not be buying either. Less fuel will be bought. Less cement will be purchased. Less money will go into retirement plans. Less money to insurance providers. The only expense that was going up was the legal expense for liens on contractors not paying.

Looks like the housing recession is affecting more people than I thought."


I believe that this is relevant since it provides more evidence in two particular areas of interest to investors……

1) The housing market slowdown is decreasing the amount being spend by Americans in real time and not just because they can’t tap the equity in their home, and

2) it says something when the most relevant piece of Wall Street research I have seen in some time (and I am not singling out Merrill who to their credit have been sounding this alarm for a while) is contributed by a reader.


* DISCLOSURE: I or accounts I manage may be long or short any and/or all stocks mentioned in this post. This is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. For informational and educational purposes only.

No comments: