Nov 3, 2007

New CEO Appointed and INFS no longer on the selling block

As I have not posted in a while, I am going to catch up on major changes in the companies I analyzed for this blog and are in the Offthebeatenpathinvestments Best Ideas Marketocracy portfolio (and more importantly my own portfolio).

Looks like INFS appointed a new CEO and decided that the acquisition offers it received are not good enough. I am not particularly surprised that no deal went through and I wrote that I expect that much in one my original posts on INFS:

“ ….my feeling is that it would be hard for any CEO to justify buying a money losing operation even if he/she feels there is value to be added. Also, since Caxton is actively involved it’s highly likely that they would be looking for a very high premium – again, something most CEO’s could not justify to their boards, shareholders, or analysts.”


I don’t really have much more to add on this topic so will move on to the new CEO, Robert “Bob” O’Malley. Its amazing what a few hours and Google can turn up!

Here is an article talking about O’Malley’s departure from Tech Data. This article does not give me much confidence in the new CEO of INFS. It's full on “cover your ass” complements and ambiguities but short on any results attributed to O’Malley.

Phrases like this usually make me cringe: “O'Malley was an anchor” ……” He was driving a lot of the initiatives” …..WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?

Here is O’Malley’s work history prior to INFS that I pieced together:

3/2005 – 9/2007, Tech Data -- VP of Marketing
10/2002 – 3/2005, UNKNOWN
10/2000 -- 10/2002, Immersion (IMMR) – CEO
6/1999 – 7/2000, Intermac (sub of UNA) -- President
1998 – 4/1999, MicroAge -- CEO of Pinacor
5/1995 -- 1998, MicroAge -- President of MicroAge Data Services
1/1976 – 5/1995, IBM -- Left as President of Desktop PC division


O'Malley's track record gives me even less hope than the praises of his Tech Data colleagues.

O’Malley was effectively fired from Pinacor in 1999 after being the CEO of that company for little over a year. He was actually moved to the Board of Directors but that’s what small companies do to CEO’s whom they want to fire to protect their public and industry reputation.

On his watch, Pinacor lost its biggest customer, Compaq, which accounted for 26% of sales at the time. It should be noted that Compaq fired a lot of distributors as it cut the number from 39 to 4. It should also be noted that Tech Data was a direct Pinacor competitor (they were one of the 4 that Compaq kept) and did end up hiring O’Malley which is somewhat of a sign of confidence. (http://www.crn.com/it-channel/159402582)

Still, Pinacor was one of the biggest in the business at the time and it’s the CEO’s job to protect key relationships.

O’Malley than turned up as President of Intermac and resigned 1 year later to move to Immersion. He lasted 1 year at Immersion. I was not able to find any more info on his employment between Immersion and Tech Data.

As I see it, this guy fashions himself as a CEO but was only able to last at management jobs at IBM and TechData – two behemoths where underperformers can slip through the cracks for years. His did not last more than two years at 3 small technology firms that he was given to run.

From his track record, there is not one shred of evidence that this guy can manage -- much less turnaround -- a small, money losing company that faces an onslaught of competition. Running INFS is a completely different challenge than a cushy marketing job at Tech Data or a management job at the mother ship, IBM.

I can’t believe this guy was actually compared to Michael Dell at one point.

This appointment basically says that either 1) Caxton did not do as much research on O’Malley as I did (which I seriously doubt) or 2) INFS is in so much trouble that O’Malley is the only guy they can find to run the company.

Either case is not an attractive proposition for INFS shareholders.

This appointment is making me seriously rethink my investment in INFS and I am considering cutting my losses.




* DISCLOSURE: I or accounts I manage may be long or short any and/or all stocks mentioned in this post. This is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. For informational and educational purposes only.

1 comment:

Off The Beaten Path Investments Forum said...

while I will second your opinion that I am an ass, I am not so sure that I am wrong on O'Malley

I do hope you are right and I am horribly wrong about O'Malley as I recommend INFS for purchase and am long INFS in my own accounts

other than calling me an ass, can you point out how O'Malley will help turnaround INFS or anything in the track record I described that points to his ability to turn around INFS

-thanks for reading
offthebeatenpathinvestments